[LLVMdev] Linking on Windows with LLVM tools

Ruben Van Boxem vanboxem.ruben at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 03:23:08 PST 2011

2011/2/1 NAKAMURA Takumi <geek4civic at gmail.com>

> Ruben,
>
> 2011/1/30 Ruben Van Boxem <vanboxem.ruben at gmail.com>:
> > Can the tools in LLVM create a Win32 exe or dll file? Or does LLVM
> > still rely on Binutils and GCC for that? Is it
> > possible/feasable/wanted that the LLVM toolchain could do this?
>
> As you know, we need our linker!
>
> Please look into the slide in http://llvm.org/devmtg/2010-11/
> "Object Files in LLVM" by Michael Spencer aka bigcheese.
>
> ...Takumi

Takumi,

Thanks for the link! (pun intended)

What I understand from this presentation, is that bigcheese is working on
exactly what I was asking about, ie a replacement for binutils within the
LLVM infrastructure. I also take it that he has only made a proof-of-concept
implementation of an LLVM "nm" tool, to show that the whole project has
merit, which, seemingly, it does very much.

The reason I asked is the fact that an LLVM build also has
llvm-ld/nm/link/as/... as part of the toolset. I wondered exactly what they
were. But I guess they are (or have the ambition to be) much more. bigcheese
talks more than once about an "integrated linker"...

If I have understood correctly, this is great news!

Ruben