[LLVMdev] specializing hybrid_ls_rr_sort (was: Re: Bottom-Up Scheduling?)

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Mon Dec 19 22:14:05 PST 2011

On Dec 19, 2011, at 3:19 PM, Hal Finkel wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 07:41 -0800, Andrew Trick wrote:
>> On Dec 19, 2011, at 6:51 AM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 21:00 -0700, Andrew Trick wrote:
>>> Now, to generate the best PPC schedules, there is one thing you may
>>>
>>> Can this be done without modifying common code? It looks like
>>> hybrid_ls_rr_sort is local to ScheduleDAGRRList.cpp.
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Hal
>>
>> Right. You would need to specialize the priority queue logic. A small amount of common code.
>> Andy
>
> Andy,
>
> I played around with this some today for my PPC 440 chips. These are
> embedded chips (multiple pipelines but in-order), and may be more
> similar to your ARMs than to the PPC-970 style designs...
>
> I was able to get reasonable PPC 440 code generation by using the ILP
> scheduler pre-RA and then the post-RA scheduler with ANTIDEP_ALL (and my
> load/store reordering patch). This worked significantly better than
> using either hybrid or ilp alone (with or without setting
> HasReadyFilter). I was looking at my primary use case which is
> partially-unrolled loops with loads, stores and floating-point
> calculations.
>
> This seems to work b/c ILP first groups the instructions to extract
> parallelism and then the post-RA scheduler breaks up the groups to avoid
> stalls. This allows the scheduler to find its way out of what seems to
> be a "local minimum" of sorts, whereby it wants to schedule each
> unrolled iteration of the loop sequentially. The reason why this seems
> to occur is that the hybrid scheduler would prefer to suffer a large
> data-dependency delay over a shorter full-pipeline delay. Do you know
> why it would do this? (you can see PR11589 for an example if you'd
> like).

The "ilp" scheduler has several heuristics designed to compensate for lack of itinerary. Each of those heuristics has a flag, so you can see what works for your target. I've never used that scheduler with an itinerary, but it should work. It's just that some of the heuristics effectively override the hazard checker.

The "hybrid" scheduler depends more on the itinerary/hazard checker. It's less likely to schedule instructions close together if they may induce a pipeline stall, regardless of operand latency.

> Regarding HasReadyFilter: HasReadyFilter just causes isReady() to be
> used? Is there a reason that this is a compile-time constant? Both
> Hybrid and ILP have isReady() functions. I can certainly propose a patch
> to make them command-line options.

It's a compile time constant because it's clearly on the scheduler's critical path and not used by any active targets. Enabling HasReadyFilter turns the preRA scheduler into a strict scheduler such that the hazard checker overrides all other heuristics. That's not what you want if you're also enabling postRA scheduling!

-Andy