[LLVMdev] Emscripten: LLVM => JavaScript

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 19:47:00 PST 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Alon Zakai <azakai at mozilla.com> wrote:

> [...]

For normal unoptimized code, yes, everything should end up aligned.
If you're compiling random C code, you're likely to run into code does
"something crazy" (like using "__attribute__((packed))") occasionally,
though.  Also, the optimizer will sometimes turn a memcpy into an
unaligned load+store, or a pair of small loads into an unaligned load.

>> > 2. Optimization sometimes generates types like i288, which
>> >   Emscripten currently doesn't handle. From an optimizing
>> >   perspective, it isn't yet clear if it would be faster to
>> >   try to directly implement those, or to just break them up
>> >   into more manageable native (32-bit) sizes. Note that even
>> >   i64 is somewhat challenging to implement in a fast way
>> >   on JavaScript, since that environment is really a 32-bit
>> >   one, so it would be best to never do things like combine
>> >   two 32-bit writes into one 64-bit write. It would be nice
>> >   to have an option in LLVM to process the IR/bitcode back
>> >   into having only target-native types, is that possible?
>>
>> All the LLVM targets which use the common code generation
>> infrastructure have access to the legalizer, which handles that sort
>> of thing. It would in theory be possible to write an equivalent that
>> does most of that work on IR, but it's a substantial amount of work
>> without any obvious benefit for existing targets.
>>

> Ok, I guess that means I'll need to implement a legalizer. The
> simplest thing would probably be for me to do it in Emscripten,
> because the Emscripten IR is a simpler subset of LLVM IR (and
> I'm already familiar with the codebase). But if it would be
> useful for LLVM to have an IR pass that does legalization,
> I'd consider doing it in LLVM. Thoughts?

I don't think it would be very useful for the in-tree backends unless
we make major changes to the way instruction selection works;
legalization is closely integrated with other transformations.  That
said, the question does come up periodically on llvmdev; if you are
willing to write something, I'm sure some people would appreciate it.

-Eli