[LLVMdev] Checking validity of metadata in an .ll file

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Fri Dec 16 09:58:08 PST 2011

On Dec 16, 2011, at 8:05 AM, Seb wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to check that metadata emitted in an LLVM file are corrects with respect to debug informations.

Right now there is no such check. In fact, 'llc' is trained to silently ignore malformed debug information, because 'opt' is not held reliable to maintain debug info. That said, it would be valuable to write such verification pass.

> My problem is that I emit 'metadata' in an .ll file and then using 'llc' there is no debug information emitted in final assembly.
> For now I limit metadata to routines/subprogram/file/block descriptors, is this the problem ?

It is hard to guess with limited info. Probably it is easier to just single step in llc (DwarfDebug.cpp) and understand what is missing.
-
Devang