[LLVMdev] Changes to the PTX calling conventions

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 09:48:27 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Villmow, Micah <Micah.Villmow at amd.com>wrote:

>  Currently, PTX has its own calling conventions where they are split into
> kernel/device. ****
>
> The AMDIL backend requires very similar calling conventions and I was
> wondering if ****
>
> we could change the calling conventions from PTX_* to something more
> generic?****
>
> ** **
>
> Maybe just Kernel/Device? Or would it be preferable to add a new calling
> convention****
>
> that is unique for each target, even though it duplicates functionality?

I don't see any reason why a generic calling convention would not work.  We
could do something like cl_device/cl_kernel.  I hate to introduce OpenCL
terms into a back-end where OpenCL is just one consumer, but it does map
cleanly to the architecture model.  Or perhaps something more generic like
gpu_device/gpu_global.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks,****