[LLVMdev] LLVM supports Unicode?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sun Aug 28 10:44:10 PDT 2011

Am 28.08.2011 16:02, schrieb geovanisouza92 at gmail.com:
> Well, have you any idea about how I can implement rightly Unicode in C/C++?

What do you mean with "implement in C/C++"?

If you mean adding libraries to C/C++ that correctly deal with Unicode:
that's nothing you do with a compiler infrastructure. And probably
duplicate work, since Unicode libraries already exist.

If you mean making the C/C++ compiler understand Unicode string
literals: either that's in the language standard and implemented by
conformant compilers already, or it's not in the language standard,
implementing it would deviate from the standard, and it would not be
"rightly" implemented. (I'm not a C/C++ guy so I don't know whether it's
actually in the standard, but if it isn't, I guess any compiler has
extensions already.)

Hm.

Maybe we're talking at the wrong level here, so:
What's the problem/need that you wish to address?

Regards,
Jo