[LLVMdev] git Status

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Wed Aug 24 09:38:27 PDT 2011

Matthieu Moy <Matthieu.Moy at grenoble-inp.fr> writes:

> 1) How one should behave wrt other LLVM developers, with rules like
>    "please send patches this way" or "don't git push something that
>    hasn't been reviewed before", or "here's how you may get a patch
>    accepted if you're not an LLVM developer".

I think this is all coverd in the existing developer guide.  The whole
goal of this transition is that that document doesn't change, except
when it comes to describing source control commands.

> It should also mention what happens on llvm.org, like "when you do a
> git push, here's what's going to happen".

I'm not understanding you here.  What's going to happen besides, "the
change gets integrated, a build gets kicked off and a post gets made to
llvm-commits?"

> 2) Optionnaly, some technical hints on how to do 1) properly, like "if
>    you're asked to send a revised version, git rebase -i and git commit
>    --amend are your friends".

That's what's in the document I posted, I think.  If I need to clarify
it, I am happy to do so.

> 1) should be something people really agree on, and it people want it to
> be as close as possible to the existing flow. 2) is a matter of
> personnal choice (advanced Git users won't need to read it).

Right.  I wrote the document for people who ar not git experts and want
to better understand how a transition would work.

                              -Dave