[LLVMdev] git Status

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Tue Aug 23 08:27:47 PDT 2011

FlyLanguage <flylanguage at gmail.com> writes:

>> I'd also recommand "git pull --rebase" if the goal is to keep history
>> linear. Note that this has to go with a big, fat, warning, telling the
>> user that rebasing published history is bad. Rebase is a very good tool
>> to work with private history, but as soon as you've pushed it to some
>> place visible by other people, you should stop using it.
>
> This is enormously important - once submodule maintainers starts
> rebasing, we're screwed.

I've long argued that git submodule is inherently broken.  I prefer
git-subtree.  I didn't address it in the document because it is somewhat
orthogonal to setting up git repositories for the components.  How to
aggregate components is an easier question in that multiple people can
easily set up aggregators and users can pick what they like.  Once we've
transitioned to git (assume that we will do so, of course), I plan to
set up an aggregator repository using git-subtree and publishing it for
anyone to use.

                              -Dave