[LLVMdev] LLVM Concurrency and Undef

Jianzhou Zhao jianzhou at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Aug 22 16:20:16 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Eli Friedman <eli.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Jianzhou Zhao <jianzhou at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Eli Friedman <eli.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It behaves like any other undef value... which do often lead to
>>> undefined behavior.

>>> The point is primarily to allow optimizations like LICM to introduce
>>> loads whose value is never used.  It also keeps consistent semantics
>>> through CodeGen, where some targets widen loads.

>>> The intention is that they should have the same semantics.
>>
>> Suppose there are three threads T1, T2 and T3,
>> T1 (S1 )stores to a location l as non-atomic,
>> T2 then (S2)stores to l as SC-atomic,
>> later T3 (L3)loads from l as SC-atomic.
>>
>> I think the load @ T3 should return undef, since it can see both
>> writes from T1 T2. Then the question is if the SC store @ T2 --- S2
>> and the SC load @ T3 --- L3 introduces an acq/rel (synchronized-with)
>> edge.
>>
>> This will affect if later conflicting accesses are ordered or not, and
>> whether memory accesses are ordered makes load return undef or not.
>>
>> If the S2 and L3 still introduces an SW edge, the next question is
>> suppose there is a later SC-load L3' @ T3, does it also return undef?
>> But this potentially makes the SC atomic sequence S2 L3 L3'
>> inconsistent --- later SC loads can read different writes from earlier
>> loads if there are no SC-stores in between.
>>
>> So I think data-races SC/acq/rel atomics cannot introduce SW edges.
>> Intuitively if the locations designed for locks are used by non-atomic
>> memory accesses, the locks cannot behave correctly. Is it correct?
>
> Yes, that is correct.  I am now convinced that it is worthwhile to
> include the definition of how SW edges form in LangRef.

Some of the descriptions in LangRef and
http://llvm.org/docs/Atomics.html are like
1) monotonic atomic to the same location are totally ordered
2) all SC atomic to to any location are totally ordered
3) monotonic loads should see monotonic stores monotonically

However, these conditions can be broken if any of them are
'interferenced' by non-atomic memory accesses, since that can turn
some of the atomic loads to be undef (with any values). So it is
unlikely forming a total order any more.

So, do these properties hold only for data race free atomics?  For example,

T1:                                         T2:
a:  sc store 1 to location x
                                              b: non-atomic store 2 to x
                                              c: sc store 3 to y
d:  r1 = sc load from y
e:  r2 = sc load from x

Here, r2 still returns undef, since e can see a non-atomic store
although from happens-before. Then a c d e may not be totally ordered.

--
Jianzhou