[LLVMdev] git Status

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Fri Aug 19 13:41:15 PDT 2011

Dave Zarzycki <zarzycki at apple.com> writes:

>>From chats with some llvm/clang developers at Apple, we're also stuck on:
>
> 3) Somebody doing all of the thankless infrastructure work to ensure
> that we don't regress on basic things like the web interface,
> post-commit email hooks, etc.

It's certainly a concern.  Is Apple the only entity that has access to
this stuff or can others help?

> 4) Having a few stakeholders audit the conversion process to ensure
> that "we do it right".

Has anyone been identified to play this role?  I haven't seen any
requests go out on the list for volunteers.

> 5) There are organizations that use the current git-svn bridge
> extensively to maintain long term topic branches before
> proposing/integrating them into the public repository. If the
> conversion changes the SHA1 of commits (and it likely will due to goal
> #4), then these organizations will need time to prepare for the
> conversion (to avoid unscheduled downtime and/or any loss of history).

I am probably not one of the organizations you're thinking of, but I
currently do a lot of this and am willing to throw away everything I
have to move to git proper.  It's that much better.

                             -Dave