[LLVMdev] Getting Metadata from the IR through to the Assembly writer

Andrew Stanford-Jason andrew at xmos.com
Thu Aug 11 08:43:59 PDT 2011

I have a requirement where I need to get metadata on particular IR
Instructions to survive instruction selection and find their way on to
the MachineInstrs. In particular, I am interested in labeling
Instructions for which I know there is a one to one mapping of
Instruction to MachineInstr, however, if this is was not the case an
approximation would be alright.

The problem I am trying to solve is one of calculating worst case
execution time at source level. By labeling I/O operations on the source
a later analysis program can analyze the generated binary to determine
WCET for given paths between these labels.

What would be the best approach to solving this problem, thanks for any
input.

Andrew