[LLVMdev] Mips target instruction set

Bruno Cardoso Lopes bruno.cardoso at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 10:34:34 PDT 2011

Hi William,

> I was wondering whether there was any MIPS 64-bit
> development in progress that I should be aware of and if
> anyone else is currently actively working on the MIPS target
> in general? If no one else is working on it then I'm planning
> to add some 64-bit instruction support to the MIPS target for
> LLVM. It appears at the moment that the current instructions
> are 32-bit with some extra to the MIPS I specification? I'm
> planning to make my additions as discrete as possible
> through an include and such so as to avoid disrupting the
> current code although it looks as though it may be best to
> aim eventually for some kind of distinction through sub-
> targets.

Yes. There are people working on the MIPS backend. But I'm not aware
of anyone doing MIPS 64-bit work. We are always looking forward for
improvements, so fell free to send patches and contribute. Be sure to
read http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html before sending patches
and try to keep them small and feature contained as possible (with
testcases), so it's easy to review and integrate.

Looking forward to see your patches!
Cheers,

--
Bruno Cardoso Lopes