[LLVMdev] Performance benchmarks available?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Thu Aug 4 10:39:14 PDT 2011

I listened to the Oracle webcast about their new upcoming development
tools. They mentioned that their C/C++ compiler "far outperforms all
open source alternatives".
I asked the question if they have any benchmark URL supporting this
statement.

They actually answered. They said that they stopped publishing benchmark
results. But they said that on Intel platform their compiler outperforms
gcc by 43% for integers and 3X for floating point. And on Sparc they
outperform gcc by 80% on integers and 4X on floating point.

And "LLVM produces no competitive results", that's what they said.

I have the feeling that all mentioned results are just for marketing
people who like to hear high percentage numbers not really understanding
what they are about, or maybe achievable on some specific testcases.
Actually, what really matters is the performance of some real life
application with mix of various things in it, not just some specific
test algorithm.

Are there any benchmark comparisons available, comparing LLVM C/C++
compiler with gcc, Intel, Oracle (Sun) compilers?

Yuri