[LLVMdev] dwarf directory table and file table

Nick Lewycky nlewycky at google.com
Tue Aug 2 18:56:00 PDT 2011

I've been looking into the debug info in llvm recently. After conferring
with a DWARF expert, I think what we really want for a file is to enter the
actual name of the header that the preprocessor found between "" or <> on
the #include line, and for the directory it should be the actual header
search path used.

I started by taking a look at how LLVM encodes this in a .s file and got
pretty confused pretty quickly. For starters, we don't seem to ever emit any
data directly into the .debug_line section directly. Is it filled in by the
assembler based on the .file and .line directives? It seems like the
assembler doesn't actually offer independent control of the directory and
the file names? I guess I could invent new assembly directives, but it seems
pretty surprising that I would need to! Have I gotten myself on the wrong
track?

Nick