[LLVMdev] profile.pl

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 1 10:54:18 PDT 2011

On 8/1/11 12:16 PM, neda 8664 wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I want to use "'/home/llvm/src/utils/profile.pl  <http://profile.pl>' -edge sort.bc" command, but i face this error:
>
> Error opening '/usr/local/lib/profile_rt.so':
> /usr/local/lib/profile_rt.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
>   -load request ignored.
> LLVM ERROR: Program used external function 'llvm_start_edge_profiling'
> which could not be resolved!
> llvm-prof: Error opening 'llvmprof.out': No such file or directory

I haven't used profile.pl myself, but looking at the error, it looks
like there's a run-time library (profile_rt.so) that it's looking for in
/usr/local/lib but can't find.

I suspect that profile_rt.so is built as part of LLVM, but since you
haven't done a "make install," profile_rt.so is still just sitting in
the Release/lib (or Debug+Asserts/lib) directory.

If you search for profile_rt.so in your LLVM object tree and change the
script to load it from that directory instead, the script may work for you.

-- John T.