[LLVMdev] Compile-time evaluation of functions

Eric Christopher echristo at apple.com
Thu Apr 21 14:43:15 PDT 2011

On Apr 20, 2011, at 4:34 PM, Talin wrote:

> Also, looking in the SVN repo, it appears that some of the files in include/llvm/ExecutionEngine have not been touched in a long time, and that scares me a bit - what's the current state of the LLVM interpreter?
>
> Anyway, my main question to the list is - does this sound like a viable plan, or am I heading down the path of madness and frustration?

The current interpreter works on llvm IR, but in general invokes the JIT instead of just interpreting. I don't know that anyone has tested the interpreter path in some time, but it should largely just work. The JIT itself is undergoing a bit of rewriting for MC, but most of the idea is to leave the existing API intact if at all possible.

It sounds like you're not completely lowering to llvm IR though? That you want to change that is a bit of a source of worry, what do you have in mind? I read your email, but a more concrete example would help.

Thanks!

-eric