[LLVMdev] Coarse-grained parallelism

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 19 07:44:25 PDT 2011

On 4/19/11 5:57 AM, Andreas Wilhelm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found some code within the pool allocation project to identify
> parallelizable function calls.
> Unfortunately the functionality isn't part of the current release of
> poolalloc (in release 14 it was).

Can you tell me in what file(s) this is implemented?  I wasn't aware
that the poolalloc project had such an analysis.

> My intention is to estimate the parallelization-potential of
> sequential applications concerning coarse-grained parallelism.
> Can you tell me...
>
> 1. Why are classes of pollalloc, like the one for creating a Program
> Dependence Graph (DPG), not supported anymore?

It's probably not supported because no one is using it.  We primarily
use Automatic Pool Allocation as part of the SAFECode memory safety
compiler, so we haven't needed this functionality.

If you'd like to try to get it working again, we'd welcome patches for
mainline poolalloc.

> 2. Do you know any other existing tools or practices to identify
> parallelizable function calls?

I don't work on automatic parallelization, so I'd prefer input from
others.  That said, I believe the Polly framework and LLVM's memory
dependence analysis pass may be useful.  As parallelizing C programs
will need points-to analysis, the DSA project (found within the
poolalloc source code) or the work of Calvin Lin and Ben Hardekopf
(http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~benh/downloads.html) may be useful, too.

-- John T.