[LLVMdev] Fwd: LLVM Scheduler and Itinieraries: Negative latency?

Anton Korobeynikov anton at korobeynikov.info
Thu Apr 14 11:03:01 PDT 2011

Forwarding to llvm-dev...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Magnus Pettersson <mangepe at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 21:33
Subject: Re: [LLVMdev] LLVM Scheduler and Itinieraries: Negative latency?
To: Anton Korobeynikov <anton at korobeynikov.info>

Hello Anton,
I am trying to model a fairly simple five stage pipelined processor.
The problem is that some instructions need the last stage (write back)
to be finished so the correct operand is selected for a following
instruction in stage 3. So yes, I guess it is a delay slot between two
such instructions.  I choose to model this with just one functional
unit called "pipe". If I set the parameter machine cycles to anything
higher than one, the scheduler think that the instruction occupy the
functional unit for that many cycles but in my case this is not true,
the "pipe" is pipelined. Structural hazards cannot occur in the
pipeline, but data hazards can. I looked at the example in
include/llvm/Target/TargetScheme.td, in that example a value of 1 for
machine cycles and higher values for when the result is ready (3) and
when the operands are referenced (2) are showed. Do you have any hints
on what I am doing wrong, since the example seem to show that this
"negative latency" should work?

kind regards
 -Magnus

--