[LLVMdev] [GSoC] "Microsoft Direct3D shader bytecode backend" proposal

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Apr 8 07:09:14 PDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:14 AM, Justin Holewinski
<justin.holewinski at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here's the other of my proposals for this year's Google Summer of Code.
>> (The first is on cfe-dev.) It was suggested to me by Dan Kegel (from the
>> Wine project, they really want this).
>>
>> Title: Microsoft Direct3D shader bytecode backend
> I'm a bit confused how Wine would take advantage of a Direct3D bytecode
> compiler.  Would they not want to re-compile Direct3D bytecode (most often
> shipped with games in binary form instead of HLSL source) to something an
> OpenGL implementation on *nix could handle?

Wine already does re-compile Direct3D bytecode to glsl (or arb
shaders), and it works.
The problem is, some games actually ship ascii hlsl and expect to
be able to compile it at startup time (or even later).
See e.g. http://bugs.winehq.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=D3DXCompileShader
and http://bugs.winehq.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=D3DCompile
- Dan