[LLVMdev] inserting a print statement into IR

Jake jake.cobb at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 10:13:45 PDT 2011

Duncan,

I have this same issue using the 2.8 release in Linux.  The function
CreateGlobalString is declared on line 150 of llvm/Support/IRBuilder.h in
the IRBuilderBase class but without implementation:

  Value *CreateGlobalString(const char *Str = "", const Twine &Name = "");

CreateGlobalStringPtr is implemented in terms of CreateGlobalString starting
on line 818 of llvm/Support/IRBuilder.h in the IRBuilder class::

  /// CreateGlobalStringPtr - Same as CreateGlobalString, but return a
pointer
  /// with "i8*" type instead of a pointer to array of i8.
  Value *CreateGlobalStringPtr(const char *Str = "", const Twine &Name = "")
{
    Value *gv = CreateGlobalString(Str, Name);
    Value *zero = ConstantInt::get(Type::getInt32Ty(Context), 0);
    Value *Args[] = { zero, zero };
    return CreateInBoundsGEP(gv, Args, Args+2, Name);
  }

The implementation of CreateGlobalString starts on line 25 of
lib/VMCore/IRBuilder.cpp.  That file implements just one other function,
getCurrentFunctionReturnType.  Attempting to call
getCurrentFunctionReturnType has the same issue, it compiles but fails with
opt due to the symbol being undefined.

However, there are stock transforms that successfully call these functions,
for example lib/Transforms/InstCombine.  InstCombine is being built as a
static library (using BUILD_ARCHIVE), whereas our transform is a loadable
module.  Does that offer any clue as to the problem?  Perhaps we need to
specify something for LIBS or USEDLIBS in our Makefile?

Thanks.

-Jake