[LLVMdev] More DWARF problems

Talin viridia at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 14:38:53 PDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Devang Patel <dpatel at apple.com> wrote:

> Talin,
>
> You're developing your own language and tool sets, it brings fresh
> perspective in our predominately C orientated environment, which is good.

Thanks for the kind words :) After roughly 4 years of working on this, I'm
getting really close to an initial 0.1 release (I've spent most of my free
time over the last couple weeks updating the documentation.)

> On Apr 1, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Talin wrote:
>
> > Is this a limitation of DWARF or of the LLVM generator?
>
> Neither, IMO. My own reading of DWARF did not find clear wording on this
> subject. I am not even sure if it is just a darwin gdb implementation
> decision or not.
>
> > I ask because it seems somewhat C++-centric - many languages (mine
> included) don't have separate definitions and declarations for functions.
> >
> > I'd say that if this is required, then there should be a note in the
> debugging doc about it - or better yet, a helper method in DIBuilder that
> automatically creates both the definition and the declaration.
>
> Right now, DIBuilder's view is based on clang's needs. However, it is OK if
> you want to add new helper method in DIBuilder for your needs. All you need
> to do is create two MDNodes, one for definition one for declaration, with
> appropriate contexts.
>
> OK sounds like I should. However, before I can do that, I need to get the
debug output into a clean state that works with gdb and produces no warnings
with dwarfdump. Do you have any thoughts on the output from dwarfdump that I
posted in the previous message?

--
-- Talin