[LLVMdev] instrument a byte code with llvm

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 5 09:42:56 PDT 2011

On 4/5/11 11:36 AM, Nabila ABDESSAIED wrote:

> 2011/4/5 John Criswell <criswell at illinois.edu
> <mailto:criswell at illinois.edu>>
>
>     On 4/5/11 11:22 AM, Nabila ABDESSAIED wrote:
>>     hi,
>>     I'm newer in llvm
>>     i would like to instrument a byte code with a pass and as a
>>     result i would like to get an instrumented byte code.
>
>     To rephrase, you want to instrument a program so that, when you
>     run it, it computes the number of instructions executed at
>     run-time.  Is this correct?
>
>     By number of instructions, do you mean LLVM instructions or native
>     code instructions?
>
> native code instruction a .bc code

Okay.  That's going to make things more difficult but I would think is
doable.

So, the instrumentation at the LLVM IR is easy: you simply add a
CallInst (i.e., a call instruction) at the end of each basic block
(technically, before the BasicBlock's terminator instruction) that calls
an external function.  This external function will be implemented in a
run-time library that you link with the program after it is compiled
with LLVM.

The tricky part is to get the count of native code instructions.  For
that, I think you'll need to write a MachineFunctionPass
(http://llvm.org/doxygen/classllvm_1_1MachineFunctionPass.html).  This
sort of pass is part of the code generator and works on the IR
representing the generated code.  You will need to have it count the
instructions and then modify the call instruction so that it passes the
count of machine instructions to the run-time library.

I haven't written a MachineFunctionPass before, so others who have will
need to answer questions on it.  However, the doxygen docs and the
existing MachienFunctionPass passes in LLVM may be a good way to learn
how they work.

Good luck.

-- John T.