[LLVMdev] Explicit register usage in LLVM assembly

Samuel Crow samuraileumas at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 08:26:13 PDT 2011

Hello Yiannis,

You could write a custom backend that doesn't allocate %r15 for general usage.
 The normal way to do this is to set up a custom calling convention for all
functions that keeps a sentinel in %r15 so that it always holds the sentinel.
 This is how new operating systems are supported with custom ABIs.  The only
problem is that you cannot be assured that %r15 stays put between function calls
such as for an interrupt.

If you had asked "Is there another EASY way to force explicit register usage?"
the answer would have been "No."

--Sam Crow