[LLVMdev] Proposal for improving llvm.gcroot (summarized)

Jay Foad jay.foad at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 11:17:57 PDT 2011

>> if (cond) {
>>  llvm.gc.declare(foo, bar);
>> }
>> // foo may or may not be a root here
>> if (cond) { // same condition as above
>>  llvm.gc.undeclare(foo);
>> }
>>
> You would need to do the same as what is done today: Move the declare
> outside of the condition, and initialize the variable to a null state, such
> that the garbage collector will know to ignore the variable. In the
> if-block, you then overwrite the variable with actual data.

I think there's a real problem here. The code in LLVM that creates the
static stack map will want the llvm.gc.declare / llvm.gc.undeclare
calls to be "well-formed" in some sense: nicely paired and nested,
with each declare and undeclare being at the same depth inside any
loops or "if"s in the CFG. But consider:

1. Your front end generates well-formed llvm.gc.* calls.
2. The LLVM optimisers kick in and do jump threading, tail merging and whatnot.
3. The code that creates the static stack map finds a complete mess.
(And by this point I think it would be too late to do any
transformations like you suggest above: "Move the declare outside of
the condition ...")

I think it's a good idea to have information in the IR about the
lifetime of GC roots, but I think intrinsic calls are the wrong
representation for that information.

This is very similar to the problem of representing lexical scopes in
debug info. The llvm.dbg.region.* intrinsics were the wrong way of
doing it, because of the problems I mentioned above. Now we use
metadata attached  to each instruction to say what scope it is in,
which is much better, because it is robust against optimisation
passes.

Jay.