[LLVMdev] Questions on ARMInstrInfo.td and MC/ARM/ELF

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed Sep 29 16:42:37 PDT 2010

On Sep 29, 2010, at 4:27 PM, Jason Kim wrote:
>> Yes, but surely not by a function explicitly indicated to be for assembly files. I would expect there to be an equivalent function to do what needs done for object files. Perhaps there isn't one (yet) and that's what's leading to the confusion?
>
> LOL :-) Yes, maybe that's it. Included is a patch w comments that
> explains better.
>
> Summation:
>
> 1. Should AsmPrinter::EmitStartOfAsmFile() be always called as is now?

Yes.

> 2. If not, where should the arch-specific code go?

N/A :-)

> 3. Where should the MCStreamer specific stuff for #2 go?

I'm not sure what you mean.  The MCStreamer interface should have methods for all possible directives that can be sent to a .s file.  The problem here has nothing to do with text output, it is that we don't have a way to send the ".syntax unified" directive down a streamer.  The right fix is to add this support to MCStreamer.

-Chris