[LLVMdev] Vectors in structures

Sandeep Patel deeppatel1987 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 14:08:59 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Renato Golin <rengolin at systemcall.org> wrote:
> On 28 September 2010 19:54, Bob Wilson <bob.wilson at apple.com> wrote:
>> Really?  ARM's specifications of these types show them as structs, and as my example demonstrates, GCC's "implementation choice" allows code that is incompatible with ARM's compiler.  I guess you are saying that is OK.
>
> OK in the sense that it works, yes. OK in the sense that I welcome it, then no.
>
> I'm not an old ARM employee, so I don't know all the decisions taken
> on NEON specs or why GCC had the design decisions it had. But I can't
> possibly believe that they have to do what ARM says they should.

Can we ask Lee or Richard or somebody for a ruling on why the spec is
the way it is? It would probably also help if armcc's arm_neon.h were
available publicly for us to examine to further the discussion.

What's being debated here seems like an optimization for compile time.
I'm certainly in favor of that, but I can think of a ton of things I'd
rather that we work on first that matter for correctness. For example,
we're lacking proper EH, MCization of ARM attributes, accurate
scheduling, etc.

deep