[LLVMdev] Accurate garbage collection

nicolas geoffray nicolas.geoffray at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 01:57:19 PDT 2010

Hi Victor,

You can write your own GC or use other's GC with LLVM. What LLVM provides is
a framework to generate a representation of objects locations in a method's
frames. Right now, LLVM can emit the shadow stack (which dynamically updates
the locations), or the ocaml format. If you have implemented a GC, you can
parse the ocaml format to locate the objects.

I think the web page needs to be updated, because you can make the GC work
with the JIT. You can just use LLVM's internal representations of frames.

Hope that helps,
Nicolas