[LLVMdev] Any experiemnts/evaluations on LLVM and graph rewriting (term-rewriting) systems?

David Terei davidterei at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 06:44:29 PDT 2010

Hi Valery

On 13 September 2010 19:07, Valery Khamenya <khamenya at gmail.com> wrote:
> are there any attempts to use LLVM in graph-rewriting (term-rewriting)
> language implementations?

I've added a new LLVM backend to the ghc Haskell compiler.

> How good is LLVM for this?

Works very well. I'm operating from the low levels of the ghc compiler
though where I don't need to deal with the complexity of compiling a
functional language. The input to my backend is an intermediate
language called 'Cmm' that basically a lower level C like language.

I've written a new paper about my experiences using LLVM with my
supervisor, Manuel Chakravarty that I'll be presenting in a few weeks
at the Haskell Symposium. You can grab it here:
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~davidt/papers.html

Cheers,
David