[LLVMdev] "Cannot fine DIE"

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Sep 1 05:31:29 PDT 2010

On 01 Sep 2010, at 08:47, Talin wrote:

> Once again, I have no idea what this means or how to go about
> debugging it.
> This is my biggest frustration with DIFactory - there's absolutely
> no way to
> verify that the DWARF debugging information that I've emitted into
> my module
> is correct or even sensible. The only way to test it is to try and
> debug it
> with gdb, but all that will tell you is that *something* failed - it
> won't
> tell you where or what. It's not so much like looking for a needle
> in a
> haystack - more like looking for a particular needle in a needlestack.

You can also try running  "dwarfdump --verify" on your dsymutil file
(not on the dSYM bundle, but on the file inside the bundle). It
sometimes gives a bit more information. Also simply using "dwarfdump -
a" can be helpful to see wrong references (e.g., if the type info is
structurally invalid then dwarfdump may simply stop dumping at that
point, so you know where the error is).

Jonas