[LLVMdev] strict aliasing and LLVM

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sat Oct 30 09:49:49 PDT 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 11:30 PM, Xinliang David Li wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
> I strongly recommend not using llvmc unless you know exactly what you're doing and what the features and limitations of llvmc are.  Please use the clang driver.
>
> Is llvmc just a wrapper on top of  llvm-gcc and clang?  In search of a way to pass down internal llvm options ( I did not know about -m yet), I found that llvmc has -Wo, option (which does not work), that is why I tried it.  So many different driver programs makes it little confusing to newbies.

llvmc is an experimental wrapper, not part of the normal toolchain.  I'm not sure why, but it was used by the PIC16 toolchain (when it was in mainline), it allows defining compiler drivers that don't follow the GCC command line syntax.

I completely agree that llvmc is confusing.  I would certainly agree with its removal from mainline, but it is actively maintained and presumably there is a reason for that :-)

Lets look at this another way: maybe this is a documentation issue.  Did llvmc's existence make you want to use it, or was there some documentation that pushed you in that direction?  If it's a doc issue, it is easy to fix.

Thanks!

-Chris