[LLVMdev] SwiftShader using LLVM

Nicolas Capens nicolas.capens at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 08:35:29 PDT 2010

Hi Duncan,

It's not just for Windows. Flash Molehill is up and running on Mac and Linux
as well, able to use SwiftShader as a software GPU. TransGaming also has
extensive expertise in OpenGL and general portability technology. So the new
release is really a toolkit that can be tailored to any platform.

That said, the current public demo only contains Direct3D 9 DLLs. We can't
release any OpenGL ES 2.0 builds yet because of licensing. But for the
record we did the original version of the Google ANGLE project which has an
OpenGL ES 2.0 API, using Direct3D hardware underneath (which is far more
challenging than having the flexibility of a software renderer).

So the O.S. and API are not an issue. And thanks to LLVM we hope to support
many more CPU architectures as well!

Cheers,

Nicolas

P.S.: If you want, you can use the Direct3D 9 demo on Linux with Cedega,
which also has a free demo.