[LLVMdev] ARMCodeEmitter vs ARMMCCodeEmitter (ARM relocations for ELF)

Jason Kim jasonwkim at google.com
Wed Oct 27 15:06:23 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I am getting into the ARM specific relocation for MC/ELF, and have
some questions

There are some x86/arm specific relocation values already, before they
are lowered down to ELF reloc types
(i.e. ARMRelocations.h and X86Relocations.h)

As near as I can figure it, the relocation constants in
(ARM|X86)Relocations.h are used only in ARMCodeEmitter, and
X86CodeEmitter.cpp respectively - and on X86 only materialized in the
JIT case for the X86)
Are these relocation values for X86 deemed to be kosher for MC? I was
made curious by a comment in ARMBaseInstrInfo.h:166 saying that the
ARMCodeEmitter should go away -

Since this comment was describing a constant used in the JIT side for
playing with the address computation that used the reloc enums defined
in ARMRelocations.h, it makes me believe that the ultimate plan is for
(ARM|X86)CodeEmitter.[ch]pp to be deprecated (and thus the existing
relocation types will be deprecated as well..)

Is this the case?

Thanks!
-jason