[LLVMdev] New Target Backend?

Alexander Herz alexander.herz at mytum.de
Tue Oct 19 04:45:31 PDT 2010

Hi,

we use the llvm to lower c++ code to c code which can be run through  our  abstract interpretation framework
("goblint" based on CIL). Along with the c code we emit some structured text  files  that contain the "lost" information
(class hierarchy, private/public attributes etc). The backend is derived from the c backend (In addition to the c code
debug locations are emitted so that the c code lines can be mapped back to the original cpp code lines. Furthermore, a few
type checks are performed which are more restrictive than the actual c++ standard, but this could be moved further back in the tool chain.).
This is developed for a company as part of a science cooperation with our university.
Ideally, I would like to submit the backend as a patch to llvm so I don't need keep updating my llvm branch just to keep the backend alive
which is 95% identical to the c backend.

Maybe this could be handled as a new subtarget for the c backend?

Any ideas?

Thx,
Alex