[LLVMdev] address-units

Jonas Paulsson jnspaulsson at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 02:49:46 PDT 2010

Hello,

I am working on a target with native 16-bit units addressing.So, for a a[1] reference a a+1 expression should be generated for an i16.

I found this issue discussed  before:

From: gohman at apple.com (Dan Gohman)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:37:16 -0700
Subject: [LLVMdev] adjust address calculus for an architecture that does
	not address bytes

(8-bit) byte addressibility is a fairly widespread assumption in LLVM,
reaching beyond just GEP lowering.  Fixing this will require more
work than just adding a subclass, though it ought to be doable.

Go through the TargetData class and generalize anything that works
in terms of bytes to work in terms of address units.  I think you'll
need
to extend the datalayout string syntax to support an address unit
size (in bits), and to add an address unit size field to the TargetData
class.  You'll also need to change APIs like getSizeInBytes to
getSizeInAddressUnits.

Then, you can change your target datalayout string to be in terms of
16-bit address units instead of 8-bit address units.

Then there are other places in LLVM which hardcode "8" constants
and "i8*" types; these can be fixed once the TargetData changes are
in place.

Dan

I would like to get the current status on this topic. Has anyone tried to implement this yet?

thanks,

Jonas