[LLVMdev] 2.8 Release notes - LLVM r100304 API change and OpenJDK/IcedTea got support

Xerxes RĂ„nby xerxes at zafena.se
Tue Oct 5 02:11:13 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-04 06:43, Chris Lattner wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've finished the first draft of the 2.8 release notes:
> http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html
>
> Please feel free to commit improvements and enhancements.  There are "a lot" of changes that went into 2.8, but I think I've scraped most of them out of the commits.  However, it is also highly likely that I missed something, so if I missed your favorite feature, please speak up or fix it.
>
> If you are aware of important API changes, please commit improvements to the "Major Changes and Removed Features" section, or send in patches for changes.  Thanks!

LLVM 2.8 added a fifth isVolatile field for memset
introduced with LLVM r100304.
http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project?view=rev&revision=100304

This caused a runtime failure for JIT projects using memcpy, memmove,
and memset.
For what I know this are the only API change that I had to be aware of
when updating Icedtea to support LLVM 2.8.

> -Chris

Hi

The platformindependent OpenJDK/IcedTea Shark JIT have been updated to
support LLVM 2.8.
Here are the icedtea externalproj doc_section for inclusion in the
release notes :

-Xerxes

*<!--=========================================================================-->*
*<div class=**"doc_subsection"**>*
*<a name=**"icedtea"**>IcedTea *Java Virtual Machine Implementation*</a>*
*</div>*

*<div class=**"doc_text"**>*
*<p>*
*<a href=**"http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/Main_Page"**>*IcedTea*</a>* provides a
harness to build OpenJDK using only free software build tools and to provide
replacements for the not-yet free parts of OpenJDK.  One of the extensions that
IcedTea provides is a new JIT compiler named *<a
href=**"http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/ZeroSharkFaq"**>*Shark*</a>* which uses LLVM
to provide native code generation without introducing processor-dependent
code.
*</p>

and are known to work with LLVM 2.8
(and continue to work with older LLVM releases >= 2.6 as well).*</p>*

*</div>*