[LLVMdev] using bugpoint in a complex ruby code build case

Frank Kuehnel kuehnelf at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 14:06:53 PST 2010

Hi all,

I've been running into what appears to be an optimization bug in llvm,
while compiling
the latest ruby 1.9.3 with the latest llvm/clang 2.9 version. From
hands on experimentation
I do know that the gvn pass for the "vm.c" compilation is the culprit
of the miscompilation
(clang -O2/-O3 options produce the miscompilation, however -O1 is
fine!). I've also tried
to generate an non-optimized bc file with clang first, then run the
optimization steps
that come with the -O3 option then dropping the "gvn" pass. All this
confirms the hypothesis.

Due to the lack of bugpoint examples in the documentation, I have no
idea how to use bugpoint
in this complex case, where vm.o firstly needs to be linked with lots
of other compiled modules
and libraries, then the resulting program needs to be executed with
some parameters!

Also, if bugpoint were to be able to deal with this complex scenario,
how could one provide
hints to bugpoint not to try everything, but to focus on certain llvm
steps?

Thanks,
Frank