[LLVMdev] fixed point support

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Thu Nov 25 02:06:48 PST 2010

Hi Jonas,

> I am investigating the possibilities of incorporating fixed point support into
> the LLVM I/R.

I think you should write a rationale explaining why you want to introduce new
types etc rather than using the existing integer types, with intrinsic functions
for the operations, or some other such scheme.  Introducing new types is hard
work and creates a maintenance burden for everyone, since they will need to be
properly supported by all parts of the compiler forever more.  It is therefore
important to give a cogent explanation of why this is the best approach, why
the benefits outweigh the costs, and so forth.

Ciao,

Duncan.