[LLVMdev] Fwd: Build Attributes Proposal

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Wed Nov 17 16:06:58 PST 2010

On 17 November 2010 23:55, Sandeep Patel <deeppatel1987 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. The ARM attributes want to know what the CC is for the entire
> translation unit, which because of this very function attribute is not
> possible to accurately specify.

But PCS is done on a function-by-function basis (ABI Addenda 2.1.3),
so this is the correct way to do.

> If we treat them all as function attributes, then we have the same
> merge problem on the function level that the linker normally solves.

You could have different PCSs in the same unit. As attributes are
inherited from unit to section to symbol (if possible), you can easily
set a global attribute as the default and do a per-function setting if
that differs from the default you set up earlier.

cheers,
--renato