[LLVMdev] Phronix does another speed test

Dale Johannesen dalej at apple.com
Tue Nov 9 13:39:29 PST 2010

>>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=llvm_gcc_dragonegg28&num=1
>>> as of version 2.8, LLVM is generating slower code than the newer GCCs
>>> but generates the code more quickly.
>>>

>> I would be more concerned about the 'unable to compile', or 'compiled
>> code not working correctly' issues. It would help if they filed bugs.

It is claimed that the Byte Unix benchmarks compile with llvm-gcc but do not work.  They built and worked fine for me with TOT on Darwin X86-64.  (I could not find version 3.6;  3.11 is in common use, and has been since at least 2003.  There are some comments in the code that call it 3.6, however, and others [dated 1991] that  call it 3.9, so I think we're talking about the same thing.  But maybe not.)

It's also claimed they don't build with Clang.  This is true:

./src/hanoi.c:65:3: error: non-void function 'mov' should return a value
      [-Wreturn-type]
                return;
                ^
The function in question is logically void but is declared without a return type (thus implicit int), a style that was common pre-C89 but is now rare.   It's clearly legal in both C89 and C99, but last time this came up there was sentiment that rejecting it anyway was the best thing for users.  Whatever you think of that, it means we can't build this benchmark.