[LLVMdev] How can we recruit a reviewer for our path-profiling implementation?

J Nelson Amaral amaral at cs.ualberta.ca
Tue Nov 9 13:20:47 PST 2010

path profiling.

It is well known that path profiling generates more precise information
about a program's behaviour than edge profiling.

We are conducting a research project with the goal of developing a
methodology to make feedback-directed optimization (FDO) more sound. We are
developing combined profiles that enable the combination of profiling
information from various run of a program (with different inputs) and makes
several statistical measures available to the compiler developer to make FDO
decisions.

This past Summer I employed an undergraduate student, Adam Preuss, and he
implemented path profiling for LLVM --- he implemented Ball-Laurus path
profiling with the improvements suggested byt Thomas Ball in a separate
paper. We have tested it with the entire suite of SPEC benchmarks, and we
have implemented a tool to check if the profiling information obtained with
the new path profiling implementation is consistent with the edge profiling
implemented independently in LLVM. Adam also implemented combining
profiling.

We are interested on have this code committed so that it is available to
other developers and started to be used. We are ourselves exploring the
advantages of using combined path profiling in speculative Partial
Redundancy Elimination (PRE) in LLVM.

Adam has sent requests to the llvmdev list to try to entice a reviewer to
review the code and documentation, but so far has not been successful.

Would the wiser hands around have advice to us as to how to recruit someone
that can review the code and possibly approve it for commitment?

        Cheers,

                Nelson

           /
    \     /  /   Jose Nelson Amaral - amaral at cs.ualberta.ca
     )   /  (    Professor
    /   /    \   Dept. of Computing Science - University of Alberta
   (   /      )  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T6G 2E8
    \ O      /   Phone: (780)492-5411      Fax: (780)492-1071
     \      /    http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~amaral
      `----'