[LLVMdev] Need help for my PBQP regAlloc proj in llvm....

Lang Hames lhames at gmail.com
Tue May 11 19:40:01 PDT 2010

Hi Prasad,

The comments at the beginning of RegAllocPBQP.cpp list the two most relevant
papers for PBQP register allocation.

//   (1) Hames, L. and Scholz, B. 2006. Nearly optimal register allocation
with

//   PBQP. In Proceedings of the 7th Joint Modular Languages Conference

//   (JMLC'06). LNCS, vol. 4228. Springer, New York, NY, USA. 346-361.

//

//   (2) Scholz, B., Eckstein, E. 2002. Register allocation for irregular

//   architectures. In Proceedings of the Joint Conference on Languages,

//   Compilers and Tools for Embedded Systems (LCTES'02), ACM Press, New
York,

//   NY, USA, 139-148.

The basics of the linear scan algorithm are described in the paper "Linear
Scan Register Allocation" by Poletto and Sarkar. However, LLVM's "linear
scan" differs significantly from the behaviour described in that paper. In
particular when LLVM's linear scan allocator spills a live interval it
backtracks to the start of that interval to continue allocation. This means
that LLVM's "linear scan" isn't actually linear. I'm not sure whether
there's any reference material that describes the behaviour of LLVM's linear
scan apart from the code itself.

Do any other register allocation people have a better answer to the linear
scan question?

Cheers,
Lang.