[LLVMdev] Machine Code, JIT, and Windows

Michael Smith Michael.Smith at synopsys.com
Tue May 11 15:48:06 PDT 2010

I'm writing an application that generates LLVM byte code and executes it at runtime. The options I'm looking at are to use the LLVM ExecutionEngine for JIT execution, or to write an assembly file, link it as a DLL using gcc/mingw, and load the DLL. It has to work on Linux and Windows.

I've been testing it on Windows, and found that the JIT execution, and executing functions from a DLL are equally fast. Can anyone explain why? When I test JIT, I don't have MinGW's GCC in the path, so I wouldn't expect it to be compiling to native code.

Regards,
Michael Smith