[LLVMdev] Idea for Google Summer Code : C Compiler for EFI Byte Code implement in LLVM

琬菁楊 ching1119.cs96 at g2.nctu.edu.tw
Tue Mar 30 19:41:38 PDT 2010

Hello Tristan,

> How does EFI describe structures if the pointer size can change?  This
> > shouldn't be a harder problem than C struct -> llvm struct.  I assume
> > the EFI bytecode has some way to describe them.  What is it?
>
> EFI describe structures almost like C.
>
> There are EBC instructions that have two immediates: one for 32bits
> pointers and one for 64bits pointers.

I have read the uefi specification 2.3 and survey the code of EBC VM
It seems that there is no relationship between the EBC byte code and the
processor.
like CMPI[32|64][w|d]eq {@}R1 {Index16}, Immed16|Immed32,
choosing which form is not depending on the processor but compiler(means
32-bit processor could even support 64-bit operand)
Does it more feasible to implement it??

thanks

ching