[LLVMdev] LLVM for Java

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Fri Mar 26 16:22:14 PDT 2010

On Mar 23, 2010, at 6:57 PM, Michael J. Bergin wrote:

> I'm working on a Java implementation of portions of LLVM and have a question about licensing.   The project won't contain any LLVM source code although I can foresee using JNI stubs that link against LLVM libraries.  It does however in many cases follow LLVM APIs.  From my understanding of the University of Illinois/NCSA license this means:
>
> 1.  I need to include the copyright notice in the documentation
> 2.  I'm can release the project under any license I want provided its compatible with inclusion of the LLVM copyright
>
> Please let me know if I'm understanding this correctly, I should provide more info and/or there are any considerations I've missed.  If anyone is interested in the project please don't hesitate to contact me.  I would be especially grateful to anyone with experience releasing open source software that wouldn't mind receiving an email here and there.  Thanks.

Yep, that's it!  The uiuc license is intentionally designed to be very liberal, nearly "you can do whatever you want with the code, just don't sue us, and ack your use in your docs".  Some more description is here:
http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#license

But, I am not a lawyer and can't give legal advise,

-Chris