[LLVMdev] source code information in LLVM IR

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 26 06:46:14 PDT 2010

Duncan Sands wrote:
> Hi Arvind,
>

>> I am generating llvm IR code for C source code using clang as the
>> front end. I am wondering if there is any way of mapping an llvm IR
>> line number back to its C source code line number.
>>

> this is a frequently asked question, so you should be able to find plenty
> of info by searching the mailing list archives.  The usual answer is to
> use debug info.

I believe our mailing list archives are unsearchable with Google (and, I
assume, other search engines).  I'm guessing this is due to a robots.txt
file or something like that.  As far as I know, there is no good way to
search the archives.  I suspect the long-term solution is to move the
mailing lists to llvm.org.

Can someone confirm or correct my above observations/assumptions?

Regarding the original question on mapping LLVM IR to source code, we
should probably put something into the FAQ about this question.  I don't
have time to do that now (I'm technically taking today off work and will
be gone this weekend), but can do it next week if no one beats me to it.

-- John T.