[LLVMdev] Idea for Google Summer Code : C Compiler for EFI Byte Code implement in LLVM

琬菁楊 ching1119.cs96 at g2.nctu.edu.tw
Fri Mar 19 03:47:49 PDT 2010

Hello Renato and all,

  I have few questions about your mail

2010/3/15 Renato Golin <rengolin at systemcall.org>

> On 10 March 2010 16:57, 琬菁楊 <ching1119.cs96 at g2.nctu.edu.tw> wrote:
> > I think the main issue is that EFI C dialect is not ANSI-C compliant: the
> > size of pointer is determined at the run-time and therefore the layout of
> > the structure is not static. Does LLVM support this model?
>
> Hi Ching,
>
> The LLVM IR doesn't care about the size of your pointers, and this is
> why you have the 'datalayout' explicit on the object file. I don't
> know, however, if you can omit the layout definition and leave it for
> run time.

As you say LLVM IR doesn't care the size of pointer, does it mean what I
only need to implement is the part that convert LLVM to EFI Byte code (just
like we regard native assembly) ??

> If LLVM doesn't allow omitting the layout, it should, as we now have
> an use case that needs it. If it does, it should be just a matter of
> converting the current IR into EFI bytecode and creating intrinsics to
> deal with the run-time variables. You could even benefit from having
> different languages (LLVM supports) into EFI bytecode...

I feel sorry about I am not vary familer with structure of LLVM that I feel
some confuse.With turely appreciation if you would explain more detail.
thanks.

ching