[LLVMdev] Transliteration (Asm2c)

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 9 07:37:17 PST 2010

Mustapha Tachouct wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know that I can decompile (and translate to C) a x86 program via
> IDA and Hex-ray (http://www.hex-rays.com/compare.shtml) but for
> orthers architectures this program doesn't exist. So, I would like to
> know LLVM  can convert from assembly language to C. This operation is
> named transliteration.... Do you know if the LLVM can do that via the
> JIT compiler? Is it possible to generate a C code from any assembly
> language (cf.http://www.microapl.co.uk/asm2c/) via LLVM?

I believe that there's a version of Qemu that converts machine code to
LLVM IR.  However, it uses dynamic binary translation; what you are
describing sounds like static (or ahead-of-time) binary translation, so
I don't think it is what you are looking for.

I don't know of any project that translates machine code to LLVM IR
statically.  Perhaps others can comment if they know.

-- John T.