[LLVMdev] Changed: Build errors for poolalloc using MinGW/gcc 4.4.0

Patrick Sathyanathan wpats at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 00:36:18 PST 2010

Thanks Bob and John for the response. I am having problems building poolalloc with my MinGW and gcc 4.4.0 setup. Running make in the poolalloc directory results in a bunch of "undefined reference to ..." link errors building Release/lib/LLVMDataStructure.dll. I looked at the command line for this link and found that there are no libraries included with "-l..." options even though there are a bunch of library path options with "-L...". The first few errors are:

c:/llvm/llvm-2.6/poolalloc/lib/DSA/Release/Basic.o:Basic.cpp:(.text+0x96): undefined reference to `llvm::PassInfo::registerPass()'
c:/llvm/llvm-2.6/poolalloc/lib/DSA/Release/Basic.o:Basic.cpp:(.text+0xde): undefined reference to `llvm::TargetData::ID'
c:/llvm/llvm-2.6/poolalloc/lib/DSA/Release/Basic.o:Basic.cpp:(.text+0xe3): undefined reference to `llvm::Pass::lookupPassInfo(int)'
c:/llvm/llvm-2.6/poolalloc/lib/DSA/Release/Basic.o:Basic.cpp:(.text+0x11a): undefined reference to `llvm::Type::getInt8Ty(llvm::LLVMContext&)'
c:/llvm/llvm-2.6/poolalloc/lib/DSA/Release/Basic.o:Basic.cpp:(.text+0x12a): undefined reference to `llvm::PointerType::get(llvm::Type const*, unsigned int)'

After trying to understand Makefile.rules in the llvm directory I tried using "make LOADABLE_MODULE=1" and this time the command line includes:

     -lffi -lpsapi -limagehlp -lm

but I still get the undefined references. It looks like the correct "-l..." option is not being generated. I'm guessing this is as you (John) think a configure problem, but being currently a Windows developer I just don't know enough about it to debug.

I am only interested in LLVM because of DSA which I learned about from the Lattner et. al PLDI paper. It would be nice if I could get this to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Patrick