[LLVMdev] HPC framework

Guillermo Aguirre de Cárcer guillermo.aguirre at bsc.es
Tue Mar 9 05:27:32 PST 2010

I have been thinking of using LLVM to design a framework for parallel
programming of High Performance Computers. The concept is that a VM will
provide the necessary partition between software developers and the
underlying hardware. If a programmer could describe his program
sufficiently well so that parallelism can be easily extracted, and
hardware vendors could describe their systems sufficiently well so that
the parallelizing could be optimized, the result would be highly
portable and efficient.

I have created a GitHub repository to work on this idea, although at the
moment I have no code. I do have a wiki set up at
http://wiki.github.com/guillermin/FPPF/ with a lengthier description of
the idea, and the doubts I am having. I would be very interested in
hearing from LLVM developers, since I have only started to look at LLVM
and still don't fully grasp it.

Thank you for your time,
Guillermo