[LLVMdev] -enable-eh not default in lli

James Williams junk at giantblob.com
Sun Mar 7 09:13:48 PST 2010

On 7 March 2010 13:23, Duncan Sands <baldrick at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> > lli --help says:
> >
> > "-enable-eh - Emit DWARF exception handling (default if target supports)"
> >
> > But in fact the default on x86-64 linux seems to be disabled, even
> > though exception handling is supported both for lli and when I use the
> > JIT as a library. Is this a bug? I can't find where
> > llvm::DwarfExceptionHandling is being conditionally set by the JIT based
> > on exception handling support.
>
> I'm not sure what you are asking.  Are you saying that eh doesn't work with
> the JIT on x86-64?  Or are you saying that it does work, and wondering why
> because this option seems to be off?

Hi,

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. Neither of those things. Exception handling
does work and the -enable-eh option does switch it on for x86-64, which is
the platform I'm targetting.

My problem is that -enable-eh is not on by default on x86-64 despite 'lli
--help' suggesting "(default if target supports)" that it should be.

I think this disagreement between what 'lli --help' says (-enable-eh default
to on for targets that support exception handling) and the actual behaviour
(not on by default on x86-64) is a bug.

It's obviously not a serious problem but it does prevent my compiler using
stock lli as I've had to patch it to set llvm::DwarfExceptionHandling = true
on startup.

-- James